HEATING BILL PAYMENT ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE TO LOW-INCOME FAMILIES
The State of Illinois offers assistance to low-income families who struggle to pay their energy bills. Applications for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) are accepted on a first-come first-served basis until funds are exhausted.
Please review the income guidelines listed below to see if you qualify. The amount of the payment is determined by income, household size, fuel type, geographic location, and the amount of funding available.
Use the listing below to find the agency that serves the county you live in, then contact the agency and tell them you'd like to apply for assistance through LIHEAP. The customer service representative who takes your application will explain the requirements, the type of assistance available, and your rights under the program.
When you apply for assistance, please bring the following items:
- Proof of gross income from all household members for the 30-day period prior to application date.
- A copy of your current heat and electric bills issued within the last 30 days (if energy paid for directly).
- A copy of your rental agreement (if your heating costs are included in the rent) showing the monthly rental amount, landlord’s contact information, and proof that utilities are included in the rent.
- Proof of Social Security numbers for all household members.
- Proof that the household receives TANF or other benefits—such as Medical
- Eligibility or SNAP—if you are receiving assistance from the Illinois Department of Human Services.
The agency will determine your eligibility based on information you provide and will notify you within 30 days of receiving a completed application.
If your application is accepted, the local agency will make the appropriate payment to your energy provider(s) on your behalf, or in some cases, directly to you. All client and vendor payments will be made by the local agency within 15 days of the application’s approval. Electric cooperative members, if approved, will receive assistance in the form of a one-time payment.
Members using Pay-As-You-Go may also qualify for LIHEAP funds. Contact your local community action agency to find out if you qualify for energy assistance.
COUNTY COMMUNITY ACTION AGENCIES
|Bond||BCMW Community Services, Inc.||(618) 664-3309|
|Clay||CEFS Economic Opportunity Corp.||(618) 662-4024|
|Clinton||BCMW Community Services, Inc.||(618) 526-7123|
|Effingham||CEFS Economic Opportunity Corp.||(217) 347-7514|
|Fayette||CEFS Economic Opportunity Corp.||(618) 283-2631|
|Macoupin||Illinois Valley Economic Development Corp.||(217) 839-4431|
|Madison||Madison County Community Development||(618) 296-6485|
|Marion||BCMW Community Services, Inc.||(618) 532-7388|
|Montgomery||CEFS Economic Opportunity Corp.||(217) 532-5971|
|Shelby||CEFS Economic Opportunity Corp.||(217) 774-4541|
|St. Clair||St. Clair Community Action Agency||(618) 277-6790|